EP54: How the Free Market Feeds the Hungry - Unsung.org
In 2015 there were 42.2 million Americans living in food insecure households...that’s a nice way of saying that they didn’t know where their next meal would come from. That’s 13% of all households*
At the same time a new study from the USDA: (Released in February 2014) reported that “in the United States, 31 percent—or 133 billion pounds—of the 430 billion pounds of the available food supply at the retail and consumer levels in 2010 went uneaten**
Houston, we have a problem. Wouldn’t it seem that if all of this food already exists, but is just thrown away, that it should be simple to give it to the people who need it the most? It’s pretty obvious that government solutions aren’t working and waste is much less prominent in the Free Market.
Enter Jason King’s Unsung.org (503c non-profit)
Jason got started feeding the hungry in 2013 within the Bitcoin community. All of a sudden a lot of people had some serious gains in the new crypto-currency and the Bitcoin community is VERY GENEROUS. Jason decided to raise money (in Bitcoin) to follow through on his mission to feed the hungry.
I previously interviewed Jason on Episode #21 back in February 2016. At the time he had feed only a couple hundred people but the concept was working. Fast-forward to Oct 2016 and he’s already feed >10,000 and created an iPhone app to help communities self-organize and bridge the gap between food waste and hungry people. Simple but genius.
This is the true mindset of an Entrepreneur.
- Identify a problem in society
- Get creative about solutions then start telling people about your plan
- Recruit like-minded people who will want to help your cause
It’s a short interview today ~20m and I hope you make it all the way through.
Jason’s Contact Details:
Wired.com article about Jason running across the US to raise Bitcoin for the homeless.
PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW ON YOUR FAVORITE PLATFORM!
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/LibertyEntrepreneurs
- iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/liberty-entrepreneurs/id1057809945
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/liberty-entrepreneurs
- Stitcher Radio: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/liberty-entrepreneurs-podcast
- TuneIn Radio: http://tunein.com/radio/Liberty-Entrepreneurs-Podcast-p805213/
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps/Iqp3bpqbhske6s6476yfy2yyylu
- Player.fm: https://player.fm/series/liberty-entrepreneurs